Lil'Miss

Hard getting "runts" off of the bottle

I have 8 7wk old kittens. I started to feed them wet mixed with dry and there doing really well except the two littlest one. I have been bottle feeding them for the last 4wks. I have mixed the wet with the kitten milk I have soaked the dry tell its mush,they just don't like it. The formula is getting expensive and momma isn't helping anymore.Tonight I mixed the wet in with the milk and made it really watery thinking that might help(kinda like baby cereal) Any other ideas that I could try?

Asked by Lil'Miss on Jul 10th 2012 Tagged bottlefeeding, wetfood, kittenmilk, weaning in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Because of cat reproductive biology, the runts may actually have been conceived up to 10 days later than their littermates and could just need a little extra time to catch up. Try dipping your finger in milk-wet food mixture and see if they'll lap it off. Do that several times, then use your finger to lead them to the bowl to see if they'll lap from that. If they don't get it at first, just keep bottle feeding. They'll outgrow it fairly soon.