Glissa

Glissa seems to not like her reflection...

Glissa seems to not like her reflection, she likes to attack it and at first I thought she was just being playful with it but I noticed today that she went full bushy tail on it. Anyone have ideas on how I can curb this or suggestions on what I should do? It's mostly the closet doors that are also full mirrors. She doesn't seem to mind the one in the bathroom but I assume that's because that's where she eats. She doesn't hiss just starts scratching/pokes it sometimes or paws it.

Asked by Glissa on Feb 27th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Glissa is having a normal reaction to her reflection. Of course she doesn't realize that it's her in the mirror. All she knows is that it's another cat in her "space" that she cannot smell or hear and since cats are so scent-oriented, that adds to the problem. Worst-case scenario with some cats is that they will start spraying/marking around the mirror or reacting with misdirected aggression toward their people or other pets. You're right in assuming that the bathroom mirror doesn't bother her b/c she eats there. That mirror is a "positive place" for her. You can try making this closet mirror a positve place for her as well. You can also try plugging a "Feliway" pheromone scent plug-in as near to the mirror as you can. It does seem to calm some cats without drugging them. Play with her by the mirror, cuddle her, give her treats there, etc. As long as she's not continually 'freaking out' by the mirror, she will get used to it when she realizes the "other cat" really isn't a threat.

Joey

Izzie gives great advice as always! One step further - try sitting down on the floor in front of the mirror and call her over to you - tap the reflection - let her see that you are not afraid of it and it's okay. I did this once with my old cat Peanut and it was sort of a game after that. Good luck!

Joey answered on 2/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer