Getting a cat to take a pill she cannot swallow

I have to give my cat two pills, both as big as a stack of four dimes. needless to say, my poor Mercury can't swallow these. I've tried grinding them up and putting them in tuna, wet food, cream, butter, and cheese. she hates treats,and will not touch pill pockets, or if she does she will spit the pill back out. The one time she ate the whole pill pocket she refused to ever eat it again. I haven't been able to find the pills in liquid form (one is for urinary health,the other is for healthy skin) help?

Asked by Member 753266 on Apr 8th 2009 in Medications

Answers

You could ask your vet if the pills come in a smaller form, and give her two smaller ones instead of one big one. And ask him if the pills come in liquid form. I can't imagine pills being that big--even a human couldn't swallow a pill that big! The deworming pills I get at the vet's are probably almost as big, but somehow I'm able to get the cats to swallow them. I do have very cooperative cats, however--I open their mouths and literally jam the pill as far down the throat as possible. Then I hold their muzzle shut and blow on their nose. This stimulates a swallowing reaction. However, this only works with cooperative cats--cats who refuse to let you open their mouth, or, worse yet, cats who bite you, are bad news. If squirming is a problem, you can always wrap the cat in a towel like a mummy, with only the head sticking out. It seems like these meds are long-term--I hope you work out some way of administering them to your cat. Good luck.

Chibi answered on 4/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kiwi

Are these pills prescribed by your vet or over- the counter?
If they are a prescription your vet should be able to prescribe a different form as Chibi suggested. You may also need to locate a compounding pharmacy who can put them into a different form- like a flavored liquid. Another possibility is to get empty gel capsules from the pharmacist, then grind the pill into a powder and place it inside the capsules. Use butter on the capsules exterior and use the "pilling techique" to pill your cat. Be sure to massage the throat to be sure it goes down.
Some medicines can also be made to rub on the ear and get absorbed by the skin.
Now if these are over the counter I would question if the cat truly needs them. The size may overdose your cat of they are not vet prescibed. If this is the case please ask the vet before giving to your cat. Many over the counter remedies, even those called natural are NOT safe for cats.
Pilling a cat is not fun, Good luck to both you and your cat

Kiwi answered on 4/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Giving a cat a pill is darned near impossible. I always ask if the meds come in liquid form and most do. I've found success with some cats I've had by usng "Pill Pockets" which look like soft kibbles with a hole in them for the pill. But then again, if the cat doesn't like 'treats", it won't eat these either . I've also tried putting it in the side of the cat's mouth and then holding the mouth closed and like Chibi says, blowing in their noses. Once I asked for a needle-less syringe, ground the pill up, mixed it with a few cc's of sterile water and then shooting the fine powder down their throats. Good luck! If you find something that works, let us all know!

I am currently giving my cat a pill for a UTI. This is my first round with ever giving a pill. I found a really good tip that seems to help.

Wrap your kitty in a towel she they cant squirm out or scratch you. Hold her upright and take the pill and roll it in a tiny amount of butter, just enough to coat it. Squeeze the sides of her mouth so she opens it and put the pill near the back of her throat and then hold her mouth shut and blow lightly into her nose so she'll have the reaction to swallow. (The butter makes it slide down easily and makes her harder for her to push out of her mouth) If the blowing in the nose does not work, you can also take a little syringe full or water (less than 1 cc) and when the pill is in her mouth and your holding her mouth shut squirt a little water in the front of her mouth, she'll swallow it then with the water.

This tips have worked over the last 10 days for me.

Good Luck, Also there are good videos on how to do it on youtube. =)

Both my cats and my dogs love cream cheese. I cut the pills up into 1/4 and surround it in cream cheese. The animals will eat it up most often. If they don't eat it outright, it will slide down pretty readily if you have to put it at the back of their throat.

Hi,
It would be best if you take your cat to a veterinary. They know how to make a cat swallow the pill easily.

www.compoundiapharmacy.com