found tiny white worms in water bowl

i own two cats, they both got their shots for worms and other shots. so today when i got home i found little white worms in my cats water bowl and under it too.Sometimes they share the water bowl/food bowl.Well They look like tapeworms from the time one of my cats had them and poop them out we went to the vet and he got his shots. It's been awhile since they got their shots. one of them got them maybe 6-7 months ago and my other one got them about a year ago. So why are there white worms in the water bowl?? i looked in their food and there weren't any there, i looked at their poop and nothing. Any body have an idea?!?

Asked by Member 1028690 on Mar 30th 2011 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

If you live in a warmer climate, is it possible that those are mosquito larvae in the water bowl? I've never heard of worms showing up in a water bowl unless your cats were eating feces or in oral contact with each other's bottoms. Also, to the best of my knowlege, there are no "shots" for worms. Worming meds are pills or liquid that you give to them a few times then take a stool sample back to the vet for their testing. It's possible to see worms in their stool and around their rears, but the only real way to be sure and get the right meds for the type of worm is to have a fecal exam done by a vet clinic. Your cats are actually within the time frame for their shots unless what they were given was kitten shots. Then, they should have gone back for the rest of the series. If I were you, I would take a stool sample back to your vet for testing. If they do have worms, you want to treat them for the parasites as soon as possible. But you need to be sure this is what it is first.

Yes, I've never heard of shots for worms, and even if you can't see the worms in a cat's feces, a cat can still be infested. I learned that ALL my cats were infested with roundworms (thanks to my breeder not deworming his cats) when Chibi puked up a big gob of them. Do you think somebody might have puked in the water bowl? In any event, a stool check and worm meds are cheap, so please go to the vet. Don't use OTC deworming meds; you don't know what your kitties may or may not have, and a vet can give you parasite-specific meds that work much better than what you can get in a pet store. Purrs.

Chibi answered on 3/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes there's shots for tapeworms anyway. My parents cats get them all the time & my cat has gotten them a few times. Tapeworms look like small grains of white rice & can often be seen on the cat's behind. My parents cats used to have big problems with tapeworms because somehow tons of fleas got into their house & they had major problems getting rid of them all. Their cats sometimes had to get a shot for tapeworms every month. Finally the cold weather took care of them so my family has alot of experience with tapeworms. We've never seen tapeworms in the water bowls though. A vet visit for a fecal exam & exam period, tests, etc is definitely needed to make sure of the kind of worms you are seeing if you don't see the worms on their behind especially.

Yes to the shot for tapeworms, it's Droncit.
If the climate is very warm it can also be fly larvae, AKA maggots. They will hatch in about 18 - 24 hours just about anywhere there is moisture and warmth and could easily end up in the water dish!
Cats also often vomit small roundworms, also called stomach worms. These will need a wormer from your vet to get rid of, and the eggs should show up in a stool(poop) exam done by the vet. If your cat(s) have roundworms, you would most likely NOT see the worms visible in the stool.
Use bleach and water to thoroughly clean the water dish and the area around it. Let the dish air dry after thoroughly rinsing it.
I would also recommend having a stool sample checked by your vet ANYWAY to make sure they do not have roundworms or any other type of internal parasite.