found stray cat and has a broken leg i need help!

i found a cat that was ran over by a car and i decided to pick her up but i noticed that the leg was broken and there was pink stuff sticking out of her but (i know it sounds gross) but both of the problems worry me

but dont have any money to take her to the vet....what can i do!

Asked by Member 552638 on Jan 1st 2008 Tagged firstaid, brokenleg, emergency in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Morgana - forever my soul

Take her to the vet anyway. They can scan for a microchip or a faint tattoo in her ear, not easily visible (they fade over time). A kind vet will likely fix her up even if you don't have money, if kitty is otherwise not seriously injured enough to die.

I had the same thing happen to me, finding an injured cat. He'd crawled across the street, out of a cardboard box someone had put him in (after they found him badly injured). They were going to have him put down but he crawled to my place despite a fractured hip & broken leg. I guess he knew I cared.

I took him to my vet & she said she'd fix him up, even though he wasn't mine & I didn't have any money. While he was sedated, they found a faint tattoo, notified his owners & they paid for it. Mind you, they never bothered to phone me to thank me even though the vet gave them my number.

Many rescues will pay the vet costs & put her up for adoption if no one claims her.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

♥ Apache

Put her in a nice safe box with a soft blanket. Give her some food, water and a low litter box. You can even use a baking pan with litter. Try to keep her as quiet and comfortable as possible, until you can get her help.

Try calling your local vets and see if one is willing to help her. Some vets will donate their services to help a cat in need. Some won't - so don't be surprised or upset. Also call your local animal control and aspca and request help.

Please be careful because if she is in pain, she could bite you.

Wishing you luck and thanks for helping her.

♥ Apache answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

my email is Cynthia.Hudson@powahatan.k12.va.us.Please email me but if u do please put person about cat ?from catster PLEASE LEAVE PHONE # AND AREA CODE MY # IS 1-434-392-7831 PLEASE CALL if nobody answers leave message with # ask for tessleigh

Lucy

If you can't find a private vet to help, you can try local shelters. My brother Rocky and I both were brought to the shelter where our meowmy volunteers--both of us had badly broken legs. The vet there wasn't able to save our legs and had to amputate(I am missing my left hind leg, Rocky is missing his right front) so we are both tripods. If the shelter is willing to help the kitty, you may have to surrender her to the shelter and pay an adoption fee to keep her if that is what you want. But please act fast, as infection can set in very quickly; and an untreated infection could result in death if not treated fairly quickly. Even if she loses the leg, a cat can do very well with only three legs. Meowmy adopted us after surgery, and both Rocky and I are healthy, active, and very loving family members. Our house is "Handi-cat" accessible, and we love to climb, and run, and torment our four-legged kitty brother and two doggie sisters who live here.

Lucy answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Max

Take it to a vet anyways, they will understand, if she does not get help and stays at your house and is in pain that is most likely animal crulity. plus if it is not your cat and it has no owner the vet might let you keep it, that is how i got my dog, he got ran over too.

Max answered on 1/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer