Found an abandoned cat.

Basically, we have found a cat which has been abandoned. It had a collar at one point, but next time it came around, it was gone. This cat came around our property alot, and one day it was in bad shape. So we decided to take it in to fix it up. At that point, it was really skinny as it had not eaten, it had a huge chunk of fir missing from one side of it's face,, drool dripping out of it's mouth, and it was really weak. On the first day, she had a little bit of blood coming from her mouth (after we force fed her), but this is gone now which is good.. So we brought it in to our house, and we are caring for it in a separate room. She has been here for around 5 days. It took us two days to get her to drink, and she has barely eaten. We have had to force feed her using food mixed with milk, and put it in an eye dropper, and put it into her mouth. This is the only way she has gotten food as she will not eat it on her own. Could she gain appetite back if we force feed her enough? What to do?

Asked by Member 1119096 on Jul 5th 2012 Tagged food, noteating in Illness & Disease

Answers

It's possible that the cat is very ill and should be taken to the vet. She may have problems other than being half-starved as cats will stop eating when they are ill. By force feeding her, you could make the situation worse. Think about if you had the flu. If you didn't feel well, you wouldn't want someone forcing food down your throat. It's wonderful that you care so much about this cat that you've decided to try to give her another chance, but your first course of action is to get her to a vet to get checked out. Many vets in my area will treat for free or at a significantly reduced cost if you share with them that you have rescued the animal and are trying to get her well.

Pepper

You have a really good heart, let me start with that. You are doung the right thing for this cat, but as per Izzie you must get it to the vet asap, it could be sick, have fleas, worms, ear mites etc and it must be checked.

I hope to hear of a healthy happy cat soon! Good luck. And well done for taking action and helping this unfortunate creature!

Pepper answered on 7/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It almost sounds like it was in a fight or hit by a car and its jaw is broken?
Can it open and close its mouth?
My cat tangled with a coyote and had his jaw completely broken. The vet near me said it would be $4000 to fix and he might die on the table so I should put him down. I refused to believe that was all that could be done, so I called another vet who said that if I could syringe feed him until he regained his strength, he'd be fine.
4 years later, he's perfectly fine, just has a crooked jaw. I say keep syringe feeding him 3 times a day and see how it goes. It took about a month before mine could eat on his own again, so it will be quite an undertaking, but well worth it! Please keep us posted about your furry love!!