fesces stuck to hair

My cat has soft black hair and it is somewhat long. The problem is that she gets fesces stuck around her backside and she will not let me near her to try to remove it. I don't want to have to take her to the groomer everytime she uses the litter box. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Asked by Member 965560 on Feb 17th 2010 Tagged grooming, hair, fesces in Home Grooming

Answers

Mine often have a little poo hanging on but they are pretty good about letting me get it. I keep unscented baby wipes on hand and when there's a problem I wipe their butt. (7 with long hair here) I also give bottom only baths (swish their hind end around in a sink of warm water) when it sticks. You could consider keeping her backside shaved if this happens frequently and she won't allow you to wipe or bottom bathe her. It's called a hygeine clip. Just stay away from using scissors. When I was learning to take care of long haired cats for the first time, I cut Bailey's tail and an open wound in an area that has a lot of bacteria due to poop is very dangerous.

Elise

I second Allie's advice. Get to the poop when it's still soft, and use baby wipes (we have "pet wipes" in Japan) and, if possible, a metal comb to get out all the doo-doo. DO NOT USE SCISSORS. Once a Klingon has petrified, one wants to cut it out, but--and I have a long history of keeping cats--yesterday I managed to cut poor Elise in three different spots, even though I thought I was just cutting the top off the noxious lumps. She ended up having to have stitches. Get the poop when it is still soft. Wear protective gloves if necessary. Daily inspection is a must. Use a metal comb to tease out the Kllingons. I'm not lecturing you, but myself. And yes, keeping the fur in the hind area as short as possible is a good idea. Whether you do it, or a vet or groomer does it, it will help solve the problem. Good luck!

Elise answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer