FERAL CATS

I HAVE A CO-WORKER WHO IS BUYING HER PARENTS FARM THAT HAS MANY FERAL CATS. WHEN SHE TAKES POSSESSION, SHE PLANS ON HAVING MANY OF THEM EUTHANIZED. I FEEL THIS IS WRONG. THE CATS ARE INNOCENT AND DON'T DESERVE TO DIE. ARE THERE ANY FERAL COLONIES NEAR CASSVILLE, WISCONSIN THAT MIGHT HELP WITH THIS. I FEEL TERRIBLE ABOUT THIS BUT CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE IN THAN THE CATS I ALREADY HAVE. PLEASE ADVISE ME. I'M HAVING A VERY HARD TIME WITH THIS. THANK YOU. LAVONNE

Asked by Member 1130419 on Sep 12th 2012 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

I understand your shock and horror over what your co-worker plans to do. If the cats are diseased and/or ill, she just may be doing what she has to do. These are not pet cats. They are wild animals. It would not be wise to bring any into your own home unless they were thoroughly vetted and socialized by someone who knows how to work with ferals. If your co-worker has pets of her own, or children, she must, of course, look out for their welfare before the ferals. There is an overwhelming overpopulation of cats (and dogs) today. The cats don't deserve to die, you're correct about that, and probably shouldn't have been born in the first place. This is why we MUST spay or neuter our cats and it is never wise to begin feeding stray cats on one's property. 1 cat can turn into 100. Ask your co-worker if she would consider working with a rescue in that area. They can evaluate the ferals and rehabilitate any they can. Good luck. You are a good person for caring about this.

According to their website Wisconsin Humane Society helps with feral cats. I don't know how far they are from Cassville though. www.wihumane.org

Check out this link of feral cat-related organizations: cmsadmin30.convio.net

I hope you can find some help from the information I gave you.