Female,Spayed, about11/12 years old, deficated herself while asleep on my bed?

My elderly cat has stopped wanting to go to the toilet outside, i noticed this as she had an accident or two in the house, my other two cats use the toilet outside , so ive given my Poppy 2 litter trays in the house, I thought that would be the end of it, but i think there is something more going on, She fell asleep with me on the bed, i got up for work and left her cosy on the bed, came home and there was a small spot of poo on the floor, then looked on the duvet and there is a watery poo mark,where she has been asleep, so she has lost control of her bowel while asleep.Phoned my vet shes to go in later today,im really really worried, shes still eating, drinking, bright eyed, lost a little bit of muscle tone due to age but otherwise vetted and healthy,No change in food or extras no change in situation. Im really worried im going to lose her,due to her age,shes a rescue cat, and ive grown extrememly fond of her, and her of me.Anyone have a similar experience?

Asked by Member 1141028 on Nov 17th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

It's not uncommon for a cat to become incontinent when they get older, just like a older person might. They sleep more deeply and may not realize that they have to "go" until it's too late. The food she's eaten all her life may not be setting well with her any more and she may need a senior formula food. Don't worry. Loss of bowel control doesn't mean a death sentence. Your vet can examine her and determine if it's age or even an intestinal virus. Let us know how she does--we'll be sending purrs!