Female cat ran away from home! not spayed and in heat

my cat Kleo managed to get outside and ran off. I never let her out so i am worried for her safety. Even worse, she is in heat and not fixed..I know..bad on me as an owner :( She is afraid of other cats so will this prevent her from mating? or is that just wishful thinking? I just want her home safe...and perferably not prego :(

Asked by Member 1138199 on Oct 29th 2012 in Pregnancy

Answers

I don't need to tell you that this is why you MUST have your cats and dogs spayed or neutered as soon as they are old enough. You've already found this out. Even if Kleo is afraid of other cats, the urge to mate is strong. You need to contact your local humane officer, local shelters, vets, put up photos of Kleo in pet stores and on posts. Check the local shelters and pounds to see if she's turned up. Go out at night with a flashlight and shine it under decks, porches, cars in driveways, bushes, etc. Her eyes will shine in the light. When she does come home, IMMEDIATELY get her to the vet even if she seems fine. If she's not too far along, they will be able to perform an abortion so she won't give birth. It IS wishful thinking on your part. Be prepared for her to come home pregnant.Good luck. Let us know.