Female cat attacking male cat.

I have 4 cats, 3 female and 1 male. The female in that is bullying/attacking is 10 and fixed, the male is 4 and fixed. The male has been in the house since he was 9 weeks old. He is a pretty calm male but likes to play and the older cats don't always like that. 2 days ago my 10 year old female go in a cat fight with the male so bad that he pooped all over the wall. We put the female in a room by herself and the male finally came out and eventually calmed down. After 24 hours, brought the female back in and it started right back up and went on all night. The male went under the bed and did not come back out. I have now put the female back in seclution.

I really don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 1153193 on Feb 2nd 2013 Tagged behavior, attacking, agression in Aggression

Answers

Catsters always suggest at least a call to your vet when there is a sudden change in behavior. Your female qualifies as a senior citizen and just like senior humans, can suffer from dementia and alzheimers-like conditions. And, when one cat sudden begins attacking another, one of them might not be feeling well. Another possibility is that there is a stray cat outside and your female is exhibiting "misdirected aggression" since she can't get to the stray, she's picking on the male. There is usually an "alpha" in any group of animals and the others know the alpha is to be obeyed. The male might not have gotten the message. When my dogs look like they're about to fight, I bring out the spray bottle. I watch for the signs. In cats, it's growling, hissing, ears back, eyes bulging and puffed-up fur. Now, all I have to do is say "NO!" and show them the bottle and they decide against "mixing it up". But do at least phone your vet for advice. They are always the first authority.