Philbert

Dry paws?

I must be in na question as king mood today! Phil is full of mystery to me!
Phil loves sleeping and laying on his back, and i noticed this morning his paws looked awfully like people feet when they get very dry and callused. not like soft supple indoor pink kitty pads. Is there something i can use on them to moisturize? some kind of kitty wipe? its a very cold dry winter here in new york and his little paws seem to be getting affected by it.

Asked by Philbert on Jan 8th 2009 in Products & Tools

Answers

Louie (1996-2013)

There are lots of products you can buy on line, but I know Phil has a sensitive tummy, and licking these creams off his paws may exacerbate it, you may want to try something simple.

An old remedy for humans and pets is coconut oil. Check it out:
www.pets.ca

If Phil can't handle the nut oil, olive oil is great for pads too.

BTW, both are great for human skin and hair too.

Louie (1996-2013) answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unless Phil's paws are cracked or seem sore, most animals paws are dry--my dogs and cats' paws are. Animal paw pads have to be tough (and even calloused) since they don't wear shoes. Imagine yourself walking or running barefoot over what an animal would on a daily basis. It's not a good idea to use too much to condition the paws to be softer because that would make them more sensitive. Unless he's limping, chewing or excessively licking his paws, I'd just enjoy him for the Philly he is.
How are your allergies?

You could try using a humidifier...

If Phil goes outside, it's just probably just callouses. If they're not bothering him, you can probably just leave well enough alone.