Backpack

DOG WITH THE FLU, HEALTHY CAT. HELP!!

My dog was diagnosed with a flu today, Vet says it's not from another dog but could be something that we (family/ humans) brought home with us.

Concerns:
1) What is the common rule of thumb for this situation? Keep kitty distant? (She doesn't like the dog so that won't be too hard) or is it a mute point because the dog contracted it from us, so it's not able to spread to her?
2) Since he got it from us, how likely is it that kitty will get it too?
3) If we were hosts to this flu and hadn't already contracted it, is it possible that we can contract it now, from the dog?

Thank you for all your help! I am aware this is all info my vet can give me but my parents are in contact with the vet as it is technically their dog. For now I'll keep kitty quarantined, and thoroughly wash my hands between pettings.

Asked by Backpack on Feb 25th 2013 in Illness & Disease

Answers

From my research, dogs CAN get the flu, called "Canine Influenza", but don't get it from humans and I read nothing saying that we can get it from them. It doesn't seem to be passed among different species--dog to human or dog to cat. However, dogs can get it from other dogs. The symptoms are much the same, and like humans, there is no sure cure except time and maybe antibiotics or iv fluids if the dog refuses to eat or drink. Nowhere did I read that it can be passed to cats. Since this is fairly new, though, it's probably not a bad idea to do exactly what you're doing. Even if the dog is your parent's dog, I wouldn't hesitate to contact their vet with questions. I'm sure they'd be happy to put your mind at ease!