Does my kitten need a vet ASAP?

She is normally an active healthy vibrant 5 month old that plays all day with short naps in between but today she slept from 8 am til 7:30 pm, ate a bit drank a bit, went to litter box and back to sleep now it's almost midnight she ate a bite at 11:39 went back inside her paperbag to sleep. She's also been shivering all day even with me holding her snug in my arms. What could be wrong and does it sound like an emergency? Her stool appeared normal and she hasn't vomited to my knowledge but this behavior is EXTREMELY out of character. She climbs trees and plays hide n seek with me in the evening but today she appears very weak, her pupils are dilated and shes shivering despite feeling warm to the touch. I did give her a serving of new different brand food called everpet last night and this morn and I'm worried she's been poisoned or something, please help tell me should i wait to take her to the vet i don't have a vet yet so there's no one I can call pls help I love her so damn much

Asked by Member 1134862 on Oct 8th 2012 Tagged shivering, lethargic, weakness, kitten, cat, sick, ill in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

We're sorry your kitten is sick. Unfortunately, even if we were veterinary professionals on this site, there is no way we could examine, diagnose and suggest treatment for her over a computer. Anytime there is a sudden change in behavior such as your kitten has shown, it is imperative to get her to a vet, even an emergency vet clinic, as fast as you can. You don't need to have a "history" with a vet to take a sick kitty in to them. Right now, you need help and do not have time to do research on vets. Please take her in now and let us know how she's doing.