Nixon

Does anyone else have two male cats that are lovers?

I have 2 male cats, both neutered. I got one as a kitten and the other at about 2 years old, making them the same age. The smaller guy who I adopted at 2 months and bites my other larger male cat. He doesn't really resist except for some vocalizations but it bothers my mom. She says the dominant male's neutering "didn't take". Is that possible? It doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if other cat households experience this.

Asked by Nixon on May 21st 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Buddha

Neutering only affects sex related behaviors in cats. What you're observing sounds like a common normal interaction between feline family members of either sex.

Cat friendships are much more complex than many people realize. Your smaller guy may be playing when he bites his larger companion, get too rough in play and all that's necessary is for your larger cat to say the feline equivalent of "Hey you're getting too rough now, cool it down a bit." Most cats tolerate quite a bit out of fellow feline family members and give multiple body language messages to the cat who's crossing the line, before resorting to vocal warnings.

Buddha answered on 5/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddah is right. Cats have a very complicated social structure in their families...with their feline and human companions. Izzie outweighs Lizzie by at least 10 lbs. but when he does something she doesn't like, she doesn't hesitate to bop him on the head. It's very unusual for a neutering not to "take", and if some part of the boys "equipment" was still intact, you'd notice much more aggression, spraying and marking behaviors, trying to bolt outside, etc. Why does it bother your mom? Is she afraid that the dominant male will hurt the smaller one? I don't think that would happen. If they get along, the behaviors they're exhibiting are perfectly normal.

More Questions in This Category