Trent (Angel)

Does anybody know of a 'cat shop?'

I wish to make a shop that sells food, toys, accessories etc for cats but that also sells nice books, calendars, stationary jewelry etc all featuring cats, for us cat lovers to enjoy. Would also like to donate some profits and donations from customers to cat charities. I would be interested to know if anybody knows of any shops like this. I would like to keep saving and learn to be a business owner so that one day I could open the shop, but some people I have discussed it with believe it would not be a successful business, not enough target market.

Asked by Trent (Angel) on Jan 27th 2011 Tagged shops, cat, charity, business in Local Spots & Services

Answers

If you mean an Internet (Online) shop, you can always try www.etsy.com. There used to be a forum of members who sell cat-themed items right here on Catster (the name of which escapes me right now, but you could contact HQ) where you could buy/sell cat items. Here in Cleveland, Ohio, we have a shop called "Coventry Cats" which used to sell only cat-themed items but has adjusted their inventory to include dogs as well. They've been in business for many years. There is really no way to 100% guarantee that any business of any type will be successful, you know? Especially in the current economy. Take small-business ownership classes at your local library or community college so you know how to run one. You might want to start with a business run out of your home if your city will allow you to, rather than go to the expense of renting and renovating a retail location. Or, start with an online business and list on google. As for the naysayers, tell them even Sam Walton had to take a chance!

I have never seen the two combined. It sounds like something that might be fun in a touristy area where people wander around looking for things to buy. Honestly, as cute as the little pet shop was in my town it did not last. I buy my food at the major petfood chains like Petco & Petsmart. Little shops obviously need to charge more for their food and supplies than the large chains do because their cost is higher and I can not afford to pay extra to feed my cats. I also do not usually buy myself the books and gift stuff because being the Crazy Cat Lady in the family, I tend to get those things as gifts. So I am not sure that there is a market to sell both food & supplies and gift items to the same people. Sounds like a really cute idea but I am not sure it would be profitable in this "big box" world where everything is cheaper at a big store or on the internet.That depends on where you live too. I have never been to Australia so I can not judge the market there.

I like the idea. Search around on the internet for information. Go to simular places near you & ask them for advice.

Harley

I think it would be a great business.Everyone knows how much us cat lovers cater to our cats and also our selves by buying items that represent the loving creatures that own our hearts.The prices the pet stores are charging if you kept slightly lower then them .It might work.Good luck.

Harley answered on 1/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer