Coralie Grace

Do you think my kitten has FIP

I adopted Coralie on 10/13 at a local shelter. There was a cat in the room sneezing but I wasn't worried because upper respiratory infections clear up easily. She started coughing/sneezing on 10/14 and we gave her a convenia injection the next day. She also has coccidia. I have run a fecal float but didn't see anything other than the coccidia but her belly is really bloated so I dewormed her for everything else that I could be missing on 10/19.

Her belly is still bloated and firm, could she have FIP? I'm a vet tech but I've only dealt with one case of FIP in the past almost 4 years so I don't have any experience with its signs and symptoms. I only know its fatal.

Asked by Coralie Grace on Oct 21st 2009 Tagged fip in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

QUINCY

In my experience with wet FIP, the belly is "squishy" not firm, and the rest of the kitty gets real thin. The last one I had who had it looked like a cow would look if you looked at it from above - thin backbone, hips sticking up, swayback, and a huge belly.

There is no definative test at the vet that proves it's FIP. Blood only shows exposure to the corona virus, which many cats have been exposed to. Other tests may point to or away from FIP, but nothing is 100% The vet may, however, be able to do an ultrasound or try to "tap" fluid in the belly to see if there is any. FIP fluid is very distinctive and there is a test they can perform on it, I think, to prove if it is FIP fluid.

One of the best places that explains FIP, to me, is peteducation.com. You may want to do a little research on the internet if you haven't already done so.

Good Luck with your kitty. We will be praying for her health and that it is not FIP.

QUINCY answered on Oct 22nd.

Answers

Simba

I'm not sure if your kitty has FIP. Your kitty needs to go to the vet for the test. It's a simple blood test. Since you are a vet tech maybe the vet you work for will give you a good deal on the price. It's the only way to find out for sure.

Simba answered on 10/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

cleo

I just recently lost a cat to fip. As stated by my vet, fip is very hard to diagnose, but the first step was a blood test which certain readings pointed to fip. My cats major symptom when I first noticed something was wrong was that she did not want to eat much. Then the belly swelled up and she just kept on getting weaker and would not eat at all. There is wet and dry form of fip which shows different symptoms. Hope this helps and good luck.

cleo answered on 10/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry that you even suspect Coralie has FIP. Contact that shelter and ask about their cats. My daughter lost 2 kittens to this. The shelter wound up closing the kitten room to adptions and I'm assuming humanely euthanizing the kittens.The first signs were that their fur looked dull and "messed up" for lack of a better word. They stopped grooming themselves and stopped covering in the litter box (they always had). They became very lethargic, they moved like every bone and muscle in their bodies ached, and stopped eating. Within two weeks, Stella was gone and three weeks after that,Rainey died. We'll certainly keep her in our thoughts and prayers. Plase let us know how she's doing.