Belle

Do neutered male cats still spray?

I thought that spraying in male cats was a learned behavior -- that if a male cat sprayed before he was neutered, there is a chance he could still spray after he's neutered. But my friend, who owns a male cat, says that once they're neutered, they don't spray at all. Who is right? Do neutered male cats still spray? (spray urine I mean).

Asked by Belle on Sep 9th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Harvey

Yes, a minority of them do continue spraying after being neutered, which is one good reason for getting your cat fixed before they have started spraying. I personally have never had an intact male who sprayed and was then neutered, but it seems that most neutered cats will stop spraying eventually (it takes a while for the level of male hormones to decrease). Incidentally, catteries usually have one or more intact males on the premises, and while most of them spray, I know a number of breeders who have studs who do not spray.

Harvey answered on 9/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ernie- 2006-2008

My late, great Ernie did spray and he was neutered at the age of 4 months. However, he didn't start spraying until he decided to make himself an outdoor kitty. It was then he dedcided that he had to mark off his territory, inside and out, I guess. Males AND females have been known to spray. Your friend is just lucky that his male doesn't spray. Not all cats do.

Ernie- 2006-2008 answered on 9/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Howie

Howie sprayed before he was neutered (I rushed him to the vet when I discovered it), but never did afterward. However, he occasionally still squats and pees on things he doesn't like the smell or location of. On the other hand, I've known male cats that spray (upright) both before and after. And some that have never sprayed; and others that totally stopped once fixed.

Since it's a behavioral thing, maybe it really does depend on the cat.

Howie answered on 9/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer