Do cats throw up often, or should I be concerned?

My 3yr old cat has started throwing up 2-4 times a week now. We have had him on an indoor cat food for as long as we've had him with wet food once a week to hide some hairball preventative in. He hacks a couple times a day, but we never actually see him throw up. He tends to do it in the mornings before we wake up. He seems to 'swallow' it back down when he's hacking. It sounds like a hairball hack, but because of the preventative, he's never actually thrown up hair. He seems normal, and has a healthy appetite, drinks plenty of water, and keeps exercised. I've been told that their nose color could indicate something, it's usually pink, but when he's real calm or sleeping, it's a very pale light pink. X-rays and blood tests are just so expensive. I need some advice. He's always been very good at keeping clean. We also switched to other means of keeping his fur clean, should we go back to baths?

Asked by Member 1082465 on Jan 6th 2012 Tagged vomit, cat, hairballs, baths, throwingup in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

No, vomiting this often isn't normal. It isn't normal even if he's throwing up hairballs. The notion that frequent hairballs are normal is a myth, and "hairball prevention" remedies don't do anything but add unnecessary grease to a cat's diet. There is an excellent article over in the Cat Health Forum on this subject. Please click over and read that.

Please elaborate on the "other means of keeping his fur clean" that you are using. Are you using some type of soap or chemical on his fur? He could be having a reaction to whatever agent you're using on him. If he's being bathed, he should be thoroughly rinsed so there is no residue left in his fur. But if he's "good at keeping clean", as you say, and nobody in your home has allergies, I'm not sure why it's necessary for you to do anything additional to clean him.

Please get him in for a vet exam, and provide them with a list of EVERYTHING you're giving him, internally and externally, so the reason for his vomiting can be determined.