do cats need other cats for company the way dogs do

my cat spends alot of time during the day alone and i was wondering if she would be happy with another kitty companion?

Asked by Member 969851 on Mar 2nd 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

I struggled with this myself recently - I thought the same thing. After much soul searching and debating the many questions - and with help from other Catsters - I decided to adopt a companion animal for my guy. It was the best thing I ever did. Joey is 11 years old and has always been an only cat – but I moved recently and he is alone for more than half the day now. Given his personality and the fact that he has never lived with another animal I was concerned. While I am still transitioning - things are positive. He has someone to keep him busy all day - even if they are best buddies yet. It's a tough decision - and you should think about it carefully - adopting another animal comes with its challenges. I can tell you that I am glad I did it - I think Joey is happier already. Not every cat needs company – but I think some enjoy it. The choice you make will depend on your cat and if you can afford another member of the family – because it’s forever! Best of luck to you!

It really depends on the cat's personality. My two cats spent the last 10 years together until my older cat, Buddy, died this past Christmas Eve from a brain tumor. Dizzy has been in his element ever since. Buddy was definitely the top cat, and regularly reminded Dizzy of that fact. Although they generally got along, at least once a week there was a free-for-all through the house that involved a lot of hissing, spitting and general rolling around the middle of the living room floor. Some cats prefer to go it alone; others don't.

Most cats do like another kitty companion... although a few do not. In general, a kitten is usually easier to introduce than another adult. When introducing a new cat, use gradual introduction and take things slowly.

It's a close call, but in my experience, cats prefer having other cats in their environment--even though the domestic cat is not a group animal. Yes, there are cats who insist upon being only cats--which is why I've had to rehome two cats in the past. No, that is not a euphemism for cats sent to a shelter. Both of them found homes where they are now happy. If you have the financial resources, another kitty in the house could help your cat deal with your absences, even if they don't "bond." So-called "common knowledge" says that you should get a cat who is the opposite sex and younger. I am a novice breeder, and have kittens all over the place, as well as intact and desexed cats. It seems to be rather random as to how all cats will relate to each other. Not much space to write any more, but I will say this--two cats don't really cost more than one (once you get over spay/neuter). Some cats want to be "only" cats--most do not. It's really up to your own kitty. Purrs.

It really depends on your cat's personality. If she has always been a "loner", chances are she's happy that way. But, if you find she's all over you when you come home, spends lots ot time following you around and meowing, chews things up, etc., then she'd probably benefit from a companion and Lord knows the shelters are full of candidates. Go to a reputable shelter in you area and don't be put off if you are asked lots of questions about yourself, your lifestyle and your present kitty. This is a reputable shelter's way of matching you to a new kity and ensuring you have the best chance at success. Don't adopt a new kitty solely based on age, sex, color or fur length. "Impulse adoptions" seldom work out. Trust the shelter to match you with the cat whose personality will fit in with you and your resident kitty. If the people at the shelter are unwilling to help and uncooperative, go to another shelter or foster rescue organizaton. Good luck!

Gato Tres

Like you, Mom thought that it would be a good thing for me and proceeded to acquire a second cat. She did everything according to the book - separating us at first then letting us smell the area the other cat was in and gradually getting us acquainted, etc.

Well, two years later we still don't get along and constantly hiss and spit and take swipes at each other. If your first is a spoiled brat like me, don't do it or be very careful in the cat you select as the second.

Gato Tres answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You know your cat's personality best. Some cats welcome company & others would rather be on their own.

K.C.

I myself say yes, since I am lucky enough to have my family living with me, but it really depends on the cat. My kit, Snoopur would be purfectly happy to be the only cat. My youngest kit, Shadow and I really enjoy each other's company and well my boy, Bear wants to play and sometimes will get a friendly game of chase going otherwise he just anoys his sisters. They growl and hiss and he just walks away. Unless your current kitty is a lot older and has been by themselves for most of the time they have been with you, a companion is good because we do keep each other company, especially when mom and paw go away for a couple of days. One thing you need to be sure of is that there is enough room for more then one kitty where you live. Rule is 1 to 1 in rooms to cats.

K.C. answered on 11/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Piper

It's a tough question - we went from one to three in a short time. I'm the eldest - they expected would I benefit the most from companionship but I'm still stand-offish. Even though I don't like Oscar, we tolerate eachother - and we do feed off eachother's energy. It's just better having somebody else around since our humans' jobs involve a lot of travel. Introducing new cats is always a lengthy process and our humans took their time doing it, and that is what's most important. As far as one of us getting jealous, cats "time-share" their owners - it's rare that anybody gets jealous, we all carve-out our own time.

Piper answered on 1/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kitty

That depends on your cat. Some are happy to have another kitty, some like mine (Kit) want to be the only cat. When I adopted mine i had an other persian. The older cat passed away a year later and that is the time when Kit became affectionate happy member of the family. Kit is a one cat per house cat.
You might want to try having a guest kitty to figure it out.

Kitty answered on 4/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer