do cats get fatter in the winter time?

This is a stray outdoor cat.

Asked by Member 928745 on Dec 9th 2009 in Obesity

Answers

It depends on a few things. If it's a female, she could be pregnant. If it's a full-furred long or medium haired cat, they look fatter because the cold weather causes them to grow more and thicker fur. However, because this is a stray cat, I doubt if he/she eats a banquet every night so it's unusual for a cat to truly get "fatter" in the winter if it spends its life outdoors having to hunt or beg for every meal.

King

Your outdoor cat may look fatter is because he is storing fat to keep his body war and so that he has energy to do all his running around . Also some of it is his thick fur coat too. But he still needs to eat so please do not skip any of his meals if you think he is getting too fat . Come spring and summer he will slim down a bit and shead his fur coat too so you will have to brush him a little if he lets you .

King answered on 12/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wrigley

I was wondering the same thing! As soon as the temperature dropped, izzie and I started eating more and more food. Now we look a little "fluffier" than normal. Could this instinct to bulk up be why? or is it pure greed?

*both inside kitties*

Wrigley answered on 12/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have two outdoor "feral" cats (neutered males). Every summer they get very, very skinny. They don't eat much and they get lots of activity. Every winter they put on a lot of weight - not just more fur, but fat (especially one of them). They eat about twice as much food in winter as in summer. So yes, my cats get fatter in the winter time. I get teased every September for worrying about them not having enough weight to keep them warm in winter, and by November they are very chubby. As soon as it gets warm they back off their food and get sleek again. They eat dried food throughout the day, so it is their choice!