Do cat paws get dirty from the litterbox?

So, I want to get a cat but I'm rather OCD and germaphobic. I planned it to simply be that I keep the cat indoors and groom it often and bathe it every so often. However, it has come to my attention that the cat may get its paws dirty from the litterbox. Is this true, is it dangerous, and how do I deal with it (hypothetically)?

Asked by Member 1139287 on Nov 5th 2012 Tagged litterbox, dirty, paws in Bathing

Answers

Cosmo

I think your best bet for you would be a cat genie, it's pricey, I'm thinking $300 but would have to check it out. It can be hooked up in the bathroom or if you have a laundry room it can just be hooked up there to I think where you washing machine is hooked up, you don't have to touch the litter granules and it flushes and cleans every time like a toilet. I want to get one, we have a pretty big laundry room, I wouldn't want it in our bathroom, we have small bathrooms. If you can't afford that, I would look around at all the different kinds of litter, they have a lot, the pricier ones are better, you should just go online and check them out with do they track a lot of litter. and you can look up litter robot, I think that's pricey too. I hope this has helped some, or at least get you started in the right direction. You will love having a kitty!! :) we have 2, we did have 4! But 2 died 3 months apart, they were very old. Hope you show photo if you get a new kitty. Denise in MD.

Cosmo answered on 11/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Denise gives good advice, but understand that some cats are terrified of automatic litter boxes. My Shizzie was and he began pottying outside the box. Before you get a cat, be aware that there are other things to deal with too. My cats are champion Hairball Horkers. That's not entirely bad, although it's messy, because not being able to expell a hairball through one end or the other can make them very ill. Grooming is wonderful for bonding and keeping your cat looking and feeling good, but too frequent bathing annoys the cat and can dry their skin out and make shedding and skin conditions worse. Tracking litter out of the box is not "dangerous", just an inconvenience that all of us who are owned by cats simply tolerate. You'll find most of us are great friends with the vacuum. I had a small Shop-vac that I keep near the boxes. I also have a "Little Green Machine" scrubber that I use on spots. Having a furry friend eclipses any inconvenience, trust me! I'd be miserable without mine!