Belle

difference between male and female cats?

my sister, who i live with, is thinking about getting a cat - but she's not sure if she should get a male or female. belle is my cat, and she's a female, and we'd like her to be able to get along well with the cat my sister would get. belle is VERY outgoing, and only mildly cuddly. my sister would like a cat that's cuddly, but likes to play too.

we also have male neighborhood cats that come to our door (they don't come inside, just peek in the windows). belle gets along well through the window with these cats. i'm afraid that if my sister gets a male cat, he will spray when the neighborhood male cats come round, but i'm afraid that belle might fight more with a female cat or something (i've heard that females can be mean to each other). what are your suggestions for my sister?

Asked by Belle on Nov 9th 2009 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

There isn't much difference in personality - as long as they are spayed/neutered by 6 months of age. Your sister should pick the cat that appeals to her. If altered by 6 months, should not have issues with spraying or fighting as long as they are properly (gradually) introduced to each other. And just FYI, female cats can spray too (usually only when they are in heat though).

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 11/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When your sister makes her decision for sure, go with her to a reputable shelter or speak with a reputable rescue. When you go, if the shelter is not spic and span, if the cats do not look healthy or the staff is not helpful and friendly, run, don't walk, out of there. Describe Belle's personality including likes and dislikes to the staff. They know their cats and can match Belle up with one (male or female) who will have a better chance of getting along with Belle. They can also advise you on introductions. A reputable shelter also has a return policy if it doesn't work. As for spraying, both my (neutered) male (the late Ernie) and my (spayed) female, Lily Rose, spray. Both are (were) outdoor cats. I believe cats, male or female, tend more to spray when they're let out. Also, my two females, Delilah and Lily, pretty much ignore each other and don't fight at all. I accept that and have never forced them to be friends.

Siam Tsun

Hi!
Ive had three cats. One female n two males. I`m not gonna generalize it, but the two males ive had has been conciderably more cuddly than the female one.
The one I have now is a male, n sometimes we have a female younger cat visiting n they get along well, even sleep together n wash eachother.
Hope it helps.
N & Siam

Siam Tsun answered on 7/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

njäuks

from my own experience, male cats are a lot cuddlier :) i hope you get a chance to introduce the cats to each other before you adopt - so you will see for yourself whether they would get along or not. although i'd say the introducing would have to happen at your sister's home because as we know cats are very territorial.

njäuks answered on 7/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I also had/have both. I think it depends on the cats personality. I do agree though I think male cats are more affectionate. Beings she already has a female though, I would definately get a male cat. Opposite sex animals tend to get along better ! Good luck ~
Ann :-)

(My Angel) Colette

I definitely agree with Izadore about talking to the shelter staff with regard to making a good match for your cat. Make the proper introductions and all should go well.

Both males and females spray. Have the cat altered/neutered before it reaches the 6 month mark—for males it should probably be earlier--and you shouldn’t have a problem.

With regard to personality—there are no hard and fast rules. We’ve had both males and females in the family. We’ve found that 2 out of 3 of the boys were cuddle bugs and very very playful. The boys we had were real characters: sometimes goofy, sometimes conniving.

We’ve found the girls to be a bit more aloof when it comes to humans other than Mommy, but no less sweet and cuddly. We’ve found that they also tend to be a bit less playful and less under foot than the boys.

With regard to same sex getting along—no issues. Our 3 boys co-existed nicely, as do our 3 girls now.

(My Angel) Colette answered on 9/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I find males are much easier cats to have. Females are a little more moody. I have one outside female cat who was semi-feral when I adopted her and her mother. She did not get along with her mother. She has gotten along with other males that have shown up at our house (each of which I have had neutered and vetted). I also recently fostered a female and she hated my two inside males. They couldn't figure out why she was hissing and swatting at them, all they wanted to do was play. If you are looking for an outside cat, you will most likely have to adopt from a local shelter. No kill rescue groups will usually only adopt inside pets. I recently visited a reputable county shelter here in Atlanta and they had a lot of very sweet adoptable cats. If you go with a younger to adult cat you have the opportunity to see their real personality as opposed to adopting a kitten and not knowing what they will be like when the grow up. Good luck!

I have 2 female cats I adopted from spca and 1 male that was abandoned in my garden. They are all great. The long haired black/white female likes to sit in my lap, other female, a small shorthaired blue burmese is very talkative, goes everywhere with me and sleeps in my bed. Male is egyptian mau and is very playful and loving but sleeps under bed and gives into burmeses who is top cat. He has been neutered and dose not spray. My suggestion to find the right cat is to sit in large cage at spca if possible and let the cats come to you. This way you will find a nice friendly cat that likes you. Cats choose their owners if they can.If this is not possible I would go with a burmese. This is best cat I have ever had. Welcomes me when I come home, talks to me, rides in car with me on trips out of town, is always where I am, more like a dogs personality. 2 female cats used to fight each other when I first got them but now tolerate each other with occasional spat. Male gives into older females

Velcro (In Loving Memory)

My family had cats all throughout my life growing up, and now in my adult life I have Velcro and help feed a colony of feral and stray cats and live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of cats (unfortunately allowed outdoors unsupervised). Once spayed/neutered, I have noticed no big difference in the personalities of male and female cats. There is a big different between the genders unaltered (they both spray and are a lot more aggressive all around though), but I would never recommend keeping an unspayed/unneutered cat unless the cat can't be sterilized for medical reasons.

Velcro (In Loving Memory) answered on 1/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiger

i have a male cat (neutered) and he is often very cuddly and warm, but he still likes to play. i suggest getting a male. btw, i think that male cats are usually more friendly an cuddly than female cats.

Tiger answered on 6/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hartley

It doesn't have as much to do with gender as it does with personality. My boys get along very well because they're different, Hartley is very dominant and Little Man is more submissive. As everyone else said early fixing is important as is a proper introduction. Another thing to keep in mind is younger cats may not be as cuddly because they're still in that kittenish stage where they want to play non-stop and investigate everything, Little Man will decide to play on the bed in the middle of the night.

Hartley answered on 7/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max

If your talking dogs the sexes may play a part in. general disposition . Aside from characteristics associated by particular breeds and the cost of "getting them fixed" their personalities are as varied be tom or tammy. But they all have love and life lessons that could teach us all.

Max answered on 2/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer