deworming pregnant cat

can i give my pregnant cat over the counter
deworming medicine

Asked by Member 983896 on Apr 27th 2010 in Pregnancy

Answers

I would not give anything to a pregnant cat without a vet's approval. Also, over the counter deworming medicine is not as good or effective as the prescription medications you can get from your vet. I would schedule a vet appointment, bring a fecal sample, and discuss your concerns with your vet. I would also like to suggest the mother be spayed after she weans her family. Please discuss spaying her with your vet as well.

Oliver

My female cat is pregnant too and just took her to the vet and found out she had tape worms and he said to wait till after she has the kittens to treat her but I think its different if they are round worms. You can call your vet and they will tell you over the phone I'm sure.

Oliver answered on 4/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You don't explain when and how you got a pregnant cat. Breeders deworm before having their queen mated. As other posters have said, this is a question for your vet, and vet deworming meds are cheap and effective, so don't go with OTC medications. A Momcat can pass on roundworms to her kittens through her milk. The Main Coons I bought from my breeder all had roundworms thanks to his not treating Momcat. Roundworms are easily gotten rid of; I don't know about other kinds of parasites. Anyway, make sure that you have a vet on board for the various questions that crop up when you have a pregnant/lactating cat. Good luck.