Desperate for help with 3 week old kitten

I just saved a large litter of kittens and their mother a little while back. They are now 3 weeks old and the mother is younger herself. They're getting big and she seems to be having trouble keeping them all fed. I purchased some milk replacer & a kitten bottle. I tried for hours and they absolutely hated the bottle. So I did some research and ended up putting milk replacer in the saucer on the floor. I put a little bit on their lips but they still would not drink it. They are no longer meowing they are screaming and I know it's because they're not getting enough milk. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1124781 on Aug 9th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Batfink

Hello!Well done you for helping these cats, Mummy is not having an easy time of it is she?Sometimes its obviously not her fault shes just got too large a litter,seeing as they are getting really hungry i would reccomend using a 10ml or 5ml dispensing syringe, its quite hard to get it right, so please practice in the sink (before you feed the babies) with some water, use the palm of your hand to gently push the syringe with fingers at each side, practice until you feel confident to get it going drip by drip (this gives kitten time to breath and swallow, try this with the formula, take your time with it. For three week to four week old kittens,approx 7 feeds in 24 hours at 2.5 - 3.5 hour intervals.mum is struggling so i would contact your vet to have her checked over make sure everything's ok, they can advise you further,You are doing a fabulous job already, just giving Mummy the extra hand will make all the difference.Good for you !!!
Hope all is well!

Batfink answered on 8/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer