Donny

CRF kitty- Pepcid dose?

My Vet prescribed Pepcid 20 mg every 12 hrs- questioned the dose and was told it was right- have RX bottle and it is labeled by Vet. I have never given more that 2.5 mg to my other 2 cats!

Asked by Donny on Apr 10th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

This article indicates .25 to .5 mg per pound so 20 mg does seem like an awful lot. Perhaps they made a math error. www.petplace.com
Did you question the dose to the actual vet or to one of the techs? One of my girls was misdiagnosed with hyperthyroid and the meds prescribed were making her so sick. I was unable to get a call back from the doctor and I got so frustrated. I got a second opinion from a "cats only" specialist and ended up moving the whole gang to their office and I have been so happy with the care we get now. I would ask them to show you the calculations used to come up with that dose.

Better check before you give that dose. If you reach the vet that wrote that crap call an emergency animal hospital or another vet. mistakes are made everyday God I pray its not too late

Kyle

2.5mg is definitely the more reasonable dose ( www.felinecrf.org ) and Donny isn't a very big cat. Heck, even if he was 20 pounds 20mg twice a day is still way too much! Probably they meant to write 2mg 2x a day? That's approaching maximum dose, but they may have felt it was needed until he is eating better and no longer vomiting, but you should really start on a smaller dose and work up to that. If our vet refused to take a second look at the numbers and admit they were wrong we'd probably wind up at a different vet.

Feel better, Donny!

Kyle answered on 4/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category