Convince them that they're not "unloving"?

So, I want to get a cat, my mom doesn't want an animal (but will consider it in a few months), and my dad wants a dog. He is adamantly against getting a cat since they're apparently "unloving" due to his experience with a stray as a child. How can I prove him wrong? I wanted to go volunteer at a shelter to show him but am deemed too young to do so.

Asked by Member 1139287 on Nov 11th 2012 Tagged convince, loving in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I don't think you can convince someone to change their mind unless they are willing to do so.

One of the best things I can think of is to take them to a shelter where they have a kitten room. Older cats do tend to be "unloving" to strangers, but if they are kittens they grow to depend on you and are immediately affectionate if that is their personality

Unfortunately, most shelters and rescues will not adopt to someone under 18 who lives at home when the entire family is not excited and "on board" with the adoption. There is a fear that the cat will be abused, neglected, not vetted and not socialized. That doesn't mean it would happen in YOUR instance, but shelters have learned that "it takes a family to raise a kitten". Getting a kitten is like having a baby around. They are active and if not trained can develop bad habits that would reinforce your parents' negative feelings. If you have a busy social life, you may not have time to devote to daily litter scooping, feediing, vetting, etc. and the responsibliities would fall on your parents. You don't say how young you are, but most shelters will accept teen-aged volunteers. If your parents are the ones who think you are too young, you may have to lobby them to change their opinion. You will have to prove to them that you are mature enough to help at a shelter.