Tiger

Clingy Kitty

My cat Tiger is 11 months old, i've had him since he was 6 weeks old (too early, i know)!!
The problem I have is that he is extremely clingy. He will only eat when i am in the room, and normally only when I eat. So if i work late, and I stay at a friends which is closer to work he doesnt eat, or he is sick. I dont know why this is at all. We are extremely close and I love him so much but it worries me as i cant go away anywhere. I went away for 9 days, my mum stayed at the house the whole time and he didnt eat at all, he was so skinny when I got back it was horrible. My question is, does anyone else have this problem? or what do you think it is? I thought it might ease up once I got him neutered but he is still a momma's boy. I wouldnt change it, just the not eating! I love the cuddles, he always has to be laid on my chest or right next to me, he follows me round the house.. he even has to come in the bathroom with me when I have a bath!
Anyway..
Any ideas?
Thank you! Char and Tig

Asked by Tiger on Apr 10th 2012 Tagged clingy, noteating, anxiety in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Sophie

Awww, Tiger must love his mummy very much :-) As for the separation anxiety, the only way to deal with it is to make him realise that even though you have to be away sometimes, you'll always come back and that you leaving is no big deal. So as hard as it is, when you leave the house don't make a big fuss of it by giving him attention and the same when you get home. Here is a link that gives a few more ideas:

cats.about.com

Hopefully this will help him be less clingy. Good luck to you and your gorgeous little man :-)

Sophie answered on 4/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat is always up my butt. I love my kitty really I do but lately he has become super clingy. I am spending a lot more time at home so maybe thats why. But no matter what I do he is always right there like "oh hai!" If I am working he has to sleep on me all day. Can't sleep next to me. Has to sleep ON me. Right now I just pushed him off and he is sleeping with half his body on me with his head resting on my hands so as my fingers move while I'm typing, his little head is bopping up and down but he's still asleep. If I push him off he just comes right back and keeps pushing his head under my hands until I pet him. If I drink anything he will stick his face in my glass to see what it is. If I get up he follows me. I don't have the heart to lock him out. I feel so sorry for him like he must be super lonely or something.

www.rabbitrunsandhutches.co.uk

www.chickencoopsoutlet.co.uk

www.dogkennelsoutlet.co.uk

Sounds like something to do with being separated from his real mum too early. I know there are some kitty/puppy calm pheromone spray (I'm not exactly sure what it's called but I'm sure it's online somewhere) that perhaps you could use when you're not around which is supposed to calm anxieties such as separation, travel, new environments. This may help? Also perhaps you could talk to a vet behaviourist for some
Tips about the eating issue. Poor kitty. Good luck :)

max

.A lonely Kitty is one thing but a cat that don't eat and is losing weight is sick. Take Kitty and stool sample to vet tomorrow. Any time a feline loses weight its a major red flag. Are you in England? Your cat sounds really sick. I'm sorry

max answered on 4/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer