Charley

Cats responding badly to moving?

My kitten and my cat.

We moved yesterday, and moved the pets in today. So far, the cats are the only one's reacting bad to it. First, my eldest cat would not come out from under the couch, and I couldn't find our kitten.
A few hours later, they both came out, and were FREAKED OUT to say the least.

Not sure where my kitten is right now, but my eldest is walking around the house exploring. I understand it's a new house, and they may take WEEKS to get used to it, but I feel really bad for them.

How do I get them more used to the house so they're not as afraid?

Thanks!

Asked by Charley on May 2nd 2010 in Travel & Recreation

Answers

Mittens

I would take them boths to a "safe room". they can stay there for a while and when they feel comfotable they can begin exploring.

Mittens answered on 5/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mittens is right. It could take as much as two weeks for the baby to become accustomed to the house. If there were animals in the house previously, they still smell them and are looking for them. If the new house is bigger, they do feel overwhelmed by all the space. Make sure they have their old, familiar things close by including beds, favorite toys, food dishes, etc. If you can take the time to play with them, all the better. This is a stressful time for everyone. We can express our stress in words, but with cats, it's in actions. Make sure that there is no way your cats can escape, through open doors, by tearing screens or pushing out windows and the like. They may try to get back to their old digs.

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

You have gotten great advice from both posters. Moving is so hard on pets. Fortunately mine were ok after our move across country. Take it slow with your cats. Give them a safe area and talk/play with them a lot. Give them familiar things to smell. Bring out some smelly wet food to get them out of hiding. Try some Feliway and Rescue Remedy to see if that helps any. Most of all, stay calm and try to establish a routine. That will help too. Good luck!

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 5/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bones

Yes, definitely make a safe room for them and then let them explore when they are ready. I just moved my 3 boys and that's what I did. They adjusted pretty quickly.

Bones answered on 6/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer