Cats eaten something they shouldn't! Help!

Hi,

Got home from work today to discover the boyfriend had not cleaned up after his dinner and the kittens had licked clean the drip tray from the George Foreman grill. Obviously the contents of this will be fat and grease.

How harmful will this be to the kitties? Will it just be a case of an upset tummy or should I take them to the vet? They both seem fine at the moment.

Also should I only give them dry food tonight? Or stick with dry and wet like I normally do?

Please help! Any advice muchly appreciated!

Asked by Member 1064677 on Oct 19th 2011 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Joey

We are not vets here at Catster - just fellow cat lovers such as yourself. If it were my kitty who had been such a rascal - and they all are - I would just watch them and see what happens. It's unlikely that anything your boyfriend cooked would be harmful to your kitties in that quantity. Be on the lookout for diarrhea or vomiting - even then I would not be concerned if it were short lived. I also wouldn't alter their feeding schedule - just see how they do.

If they begin vomiting and have diarrhea for a prolonged period - more than 24 hours - then I would take them to the vet to see what could be going on.

Don't fret - our furbabies get into trouble from time to time but this isn't one of those times where I would panic.

Joey answered on 10/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I totally agree with Joey. It's OK to ask what to watch out for in a situation like this, which Joey described. But, he's right when he says we can't dispense medical advice. Some on this board are vet techs or have experience in vet's offices, but even they shouldn't try to diagnose or suggest treatment without having a chance to examine a cat hands-on in real time. In the case of a kitten with prolonged diarrhea/vomiting (frequent, liquid stools and/or vomiting lasting more than 24 hours)immediate treatment should be sought, even an emergency clinic. Kittens can dehydrate very quickly and this can prove fatal. Keep a close eye on them AND your BF and make sure that this doesn't happen again. But, chances are your babies will be fine.

I think the advice you've gotten so far is good, but if it were my cat, I think that if she had already swallowed all that grease, I wouldn't give her any wet food for a day or two. Too much juice from all of that could upset her stomach.