Cats developed diarrhea 4 days after switching to premium food?

I have an 8-year old cat and a 5-month old kitten (that we've had for about 3 weeks). I just switched them from Nutro Natural Choice to Evo Cat & Kitten. The transition was fast--less than a week--but they've both been on only that food for 7 days. 2 days ago, they both developed diarrhea. Is it normal for a cat to develop diarrhea after 5 days of eating a new food? I thought it happened more immediately--within a day or two. Should I give their tummies more time to adjust or is this more likely a parasite/other health issue? I should note that kitten had diarrhea when we got her--I assumed it was because of a food change. We were told she had been dewormed, but she hasn't been to our vet yet. Both cats are otherwise acting like all's well.

Asked by Member 1074480 on Dec 1st 2011 Tagged food, diarrhea in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Diarrhea is a serious issue, especially in a kitten as they can dehydrate very quickly. If there were thriving on the Nutro, I would be tempted to try adding some to the Evo and eventually switch back. Since you've had the kitten for 5 months, it's time she met your vet. Since both your cats have the diarrhea after the food switch, that's probably what it is, but I would call the doctor just to make sure.