Cat's butt red and bubbly?

A little over a week ago my cat stopped using her litter box. I noticed her butt was a little red and she kept licking it. I brought her to the vet 2 days ago and the vet told me she was ok. They took a urine sample and she checked to see if her anal glands were swollen. She said she was ok and that it doesn't look too unusual. Now 2 days later it looks way worse. She has a red bubble coming out of her butt ( which btw is sticking out a little ). She's acting normal but it does not look good. It just sucks cuz it was a 5 minute visit and I paid 80 dollars and she didn't even help at all. I'm not sure what to do. I want to bring her back but I don't wanna pay money that I don't have if she won't even be helpful and tell me it looks ok when it sure doesnt.
I don't know if this matter at all but she's also been hiding lately and going into very deep sleeps for the past few days. I've never seen her like this before. I know cats dream but she was always a light very alert sleeper. Now she'

Asked by Member 1143012 on Nov 29th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Your cat is sick and she needs to go back to the vet. I would try contacting the vet you took her to. Tell them what you've told us, and be polite but firm. You need to get through to the vet that there IS something wrong and by the symptoms your cat is showing, it's getting worse. It sounds like an infection of some kind, and she sounds miserable. If you get no satisfaction from this vet, call another and explain to them what happened. They should work with you on a payment plan if they know you want to help your cat get well and you've gotten rotten care from another vet. There are also Veterinary Boards in every state. If you don't get satisfaction from the first vet, if it were me, I'd be on the phone or writing a letter (again polite but firm) to the Board about the first vet. I hope everything turns out OK for you and your poor kitty. Let us know.

Joey

Agree 100% with Izzie - and I would go a step further...it sounds like she may have hemorrhoids - if you can, get a stool sample and bring it with you to the vet to check for blood - you may not be able to see it especially if the hemorrhoids are internal. You could also put a little Vaseline on her anus and see if it gives her relief, Vaseline is safe if it is ingested and may relieve any irritation or discomfort. If she is bleeding in the rectum she may be anemic and that would make her very sleepy. In the meantime make the appointment for the vet and monitor her - is she eating/drinking and especially pooping. Good luck!

Joey answered on 11/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nika

She might have an anal fissure (tear on the anus) that has swelled up. It would be extremely painful for her to poop. Fissure's will heal up in time, but it would be best to keep the area clean using a warm, wet washcloth and apply a topical antibacterial ointment. You can also apply Tamanu Oil which is awesome at healing up fissures and promoting new skin growth. As far as I know, I haven't found any studies saying it is toxic to cats. Just the opposite in fact! You can always search for a holistic vet in your area to call and double check though. I hope this helps!!

Nika answered on 12/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer