catnip

is it safe to allow a pregnant cat to play with catnip toys??? i rescued Kitty off the streets (where I had been feeding her for a month or so) and took her inside when I found out she was pregnant. She doesn't play with any toys I've found, so I bought catnip infused toys, but don't want to use them if they could harm her or the kittens..... does anyone know if it's ok or not? I'm calling my vet in the morning to find out from them b4 I give the toys to her.

Asked by Member 899913 on Feb 8th 2010 Tagged catnip, pregnancy in Toys

Answers

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

Ok cats no they can have it and play with it. pregnant humans no should not be around or play with it. So let her play with them if she wants.

Here is a great website you may like, cats.about.com

Also it has some tips on what to do when mom goes into birth. Its not all them always. I have had to open a few sacs in order to save the babys sometimes if mom did not know what to do. Also one needed massaging to help get one big kitten out. So just a heads up. There is some good info in the forums too.

Good luck and dont forget talk to the local shelter or SPCA to see about getting the mom fixed and kittens once mom and kittens are 9 - 10 weeks after birth/ old.

Another one you may be interested in same thing it kind of sounds like, en.allexperts.com

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 2/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That's an interesting question! Catnip has various different effects on different cats. Izzie (a male) goes ape over it for about 5 minutes, then moves on to other things. Both my girls could care less about it. I've read that a pregnant woman should not drink catnip aka "catmint" tea as the relaxative effects of it could cause her to miscarry. But, nothing was said about pregnant cats. If your kitty was a stray for a while, she may not even know what to do with toys. You can always try some gentle playtimes with a feather-teaser. Bless you for taking in this little mama-to-be. If you need help or advice in adopting out the babies once they're born, please don't hesitate to write back. Many of us have experience with rescue groups and can give you advice on what to ask potential adopters.
Good luck and keep us posted! PS...we LOVE baby photos!