Cat won't stop scratching wood furniture

I just moved from my house to an apartment with a roommate. At the house, my parents allowed their cats to scratch door frames/wooden furniture, and now my 3 yr old male loves scratching wood. He's getting better about the door frames, but my real concern is the kitchen table--it's my roommate's, and if he scratches that, she'll flip.

I've tried No-Scratch spray, trimming his claws, and lemon-scented furniture polish, and I'm not sure how much that helps. He only does it when my roommate is watching (trying to show off?), & we have squirt bottles, but that doesn't deter him from trying. I have scratch posts at either end of the apt (it's not that big), but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't move the one b.c he's used to it being where it is? I don't know; is there anything else I can try?

De-clawing is a no-go (I love him dearly), & roommate won't allow anything on her table that will ruin finish (double-sided adhesive). For now it's wrapped in tinfoil, but is there anything else?

Asked by Member 1148346 on Jan 5th 2013 Tagged scratching, furniture, woodfurniture, training, adultcat in Scratching

Answers

Cleopatra

Try double stick tape. It will not hurt him but he will not like the way it feels on his paws.

Cleopatra answered on 1/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer