cat won't stay home

He was a stray that came here, he stayed in the house mostley. He would go away for a short period of time. He came up limping one day and had a cut on his leg, took him to the vet and he drained it and gave him his shots, and newtered him. He now only shows up for food, he eats in the house and then insists on going out again, some time 2days at a time. He has been living under the neighbors house, 4 doors down. Don't know what to do.

Asked by Member 1157304 on Feb 27th 2013 Tagged wontstayhome in Behavior & Training

Answers

I know that you are trying to do the right thing by vetting, neutering and taking responsibility for this cat. I had a "bum" too, my late, sweet Ernie. He was a definite outdoor cat and unfortunately paid for it with his life on the street one day. It's extremely difficult to make a cat like this into an indoor cat. Another cat we had, Lily, tore through the screens in our house to get out. It cost us hundreds of dollars to replace the windowscreens. One of the things you should do is go to the neighbor under whose porch he's living and explain that he's neutered, disease-free and vaccinated. Make sure they are not feeding him. Suggest that they wait until he leaves on his "rounds" and plug up the access point under the house (you could offer to help). If it's an open area, they probably have skunks and other things under there as well. Feed your cat inside, not outside, that way he knows he has to come in to be fed. It's about all you can do for a cat who's determined to be outside.

I'd first like to say thank you, for being so kind to a take care of this feral boy and get him neutered, you are a very kind person to do that. I don't think you will ever be able to make him a house cat, he sounds pretty set in his ways. What the other poster suggested, maybe plugging up the area he goes to, might be good, then maybe he will pick your place over that place, but if it's a place he's used to going to, that might be upsetting to him if he can't get to it any longer, so I don't know if I'd do that. Maybe now that he is neutered, he will stick around more, and I'm betting he will. He knows where the food and love is. I think you are doing what you can for him, but I don't know if it would be possible to make him an entirely indoor cat. I have a feral I feed two times a day, she is spayed and shots, has lived in my neighborhood for years and I've learned that she will never be indoors and I do as much as I can for her to help her live where she is used to living.