Cat With Uric Acid Crystals

My cat just had to go to the vet for surgery with a bad uric acid crystal situation, and I can't figure out what type of cat food I should start buying to prevent this from happening in my other cats.

I feel terrible about what happened. He just came back from being out for like two days, and when he was constantly in the litter box, I called the vet. I assume we'll get a perscription cat for him, but like I said, what about my other cats? :(

Asked by Member 1089129 on Jun 26th 2012 in Pet Food

Answers

When you are owned by multiple cats, it's very difficult to feed one a special diet and not the others unless you shut the "special" one up in a room to feed them. When Izzie was a kitten, both he and Ernie ate kitten food. Ernie was an outdoor cat who "worked off" the extra calories, but without stressing myself out, there really was no way to separate them since they have food down all the time. Ask your vet if there is an alternative to the expensive prescription food they sell. Maybe when your kitty is doing better, he can "step down" to the less expensive stuff and your other cats could also eat this w/o breaking the bank. This is not a contagious condition, but like with any other health concerns we have for our animals, it's always a good idea to make sure they are up-to-date on their exams and tests to catch anything that might be happening before it gets too serious.

A canned food diet would be better than dry. Water is essential for keeping a cat's bladder flushed out; cats don't drink nearly enough water, so the extra moisture in canned food helps tremendously. Go to catinfo.org for information.

Coconut

You really need to have your cat on a prescription diet that can manage urinary tract issues and specifically uric acid crystals. Royal Canin makes a urinary tract diet called S/O that handles several types of crystals including uric acid. You can have other adult cats on this diet with no problems. It is more expensive but the over the counter diets aren't made for treating urinary tract issues and you need to make sure the diet you use addresses your specific one.

Coconut answered on 6/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer