Cat with heart disease-not tolerating any of the meds!

My 12 year old Timon was diagnosed with heart disease about a month ago after a brief episode where he was walking in circles/could control his legs. That, as far as I know, is the only time it happened. Took him to the vet, he had a sonogram, was diagnosed. :-( Vet prescribed Enalapril daily along with one baby aspirin every three days. Timon started having diarrhea within a few days. Stopped the aspirin, still problems. She next prescribed Diltiazem. Same issue. Stopped meds for a couple of days, started him on Proviable to settle his stomach, diarrhea back again!! I stopped it two nights ago but this morning he had two bouts of diarrhea. He is behaving as normal otherwise--active (well, as active as a cat is!) and is eating just fine. Anyone else go through this?? Suggestions?? My vet is amazing--but I don't think she was in today b/c normally she calls right back. So, in the meantime just looking for any other thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1084457 on Jan 14th 2012 Tagged feline, cat, heartdisease, enalapril, proviable, diltiazem in Illness & Disease

Answers

CARLOS

try some rice with a little wet canned food, the rice will help the cat stay hydrated, also some plain vanilla yogurt will help settle the cultures in his belly and may stop the runs.

CARLOS answered on 1/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nika

You might look into alternative medicine options. Seek out a holistic vet in your area and see what they recommend. If they have some ideas you want to implement, let your regular vet know as well.

Nika answered on 1/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer