Cat territorial pees everywhere

I have an 8 year old male cat, he has always been very territorial and pees everywhere. We have gotten new carpet 4 times and he even has his own bathroom with tiled floors that he sleeps in that we have to clean every single morning. We've taken him to the vet and he's physically fine but my mom won't take this anymore and wants him out. I know she'll take him to a shelter and he'll be put down and I love him so much, I don't know what to do. I can't find any sanctuaries near detroit michigan or find someone willing to put up with him. I need help, advice, anything please but don't suggest that he has any medical issues because we've been to our fair share of vets and have tried crate training, using puppy pads, and sprays in corners. He pees on our clothes, walls, couches, no one will come over this house anymore, please help.

Asked by Member 1156654 on Feb 23rd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Velcro

If your male cat isn't neutered, get him neutered pronto. This may greatly lessen his urge to mark his territory & even if he still pees, the smell won't be nearly as strong. There's nothing worse than the smell of the urine of intact tomcats, except maybe the urine of wild cat species.

One solution is to get an extra large plastic dog crate and keep him in it. Extra large plastic dog crates are easy to keep clean.

Another possible solution would be to get him a big cat cage and put plastic around the sides.

While he may object to confinement at first, most cats settle down in a day or two and often come to prefer the crate or cage because they feel secure in it.

You could also let your kitty wear kitty diapers to come out of the crate or cage to play awhile. If he's either crated or caged or wearing a kitty diaper, that should take care of the mess.

Velcro answered on 5/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer