Cat sexuality

One of my female kittens, Keely, (she's about 10 months) is in heat, and one of my other cats, Mystery, (who is also a female) will actually mount her and bit at her vagina. Is it possible that Mystery is a homosexual? Is that possible in cats?

Asked by Member 829456 on May 23rd 2009 Tagged heat, sexuality in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Hmm...I'm no expert on cat sexuality, but males will often mount each other as a kind of dominance ritual to determine who's the alpha male. Or it could be that Mystery is stimulated by the fact that Keely is in heat--not in a homosexual way, but as a way of indicating that she wants babies of her own. Breeders often have to keep their queens separate when in heat; sometimes they actually fight. Having said all that...do you have any good reason for not spaying your kitties? I'm a breeder, and I can tell you that it's difficult to place kittens with good homes. Also, kitties feel sexual frustration when their natural drives are not met. Leaving them intact means that they may very well end up mating with a tomcat with some nasty disease like FIV. If money is a problem, there are cheap spay options available. Contact your local SPCA or shelter for information.

Homosexuality and bisexuality actually occurs within every animal species. I have actually seen this in several cats. I have had male cats that would actually rub their butts against another male cat in the attempt to mate. One of the tom cats imparticular would have nothing to do with females in that way until he was over 2 years old. Another tom cat was only ever interested in one other cat, which was another male. This isn't unusual. Everyone has their own preferences. In the case of your two females, it could be that or it could simply be that they have urges and only have each other to satisfy them. In any case, if you don't want kittens get them spayed. Even if they are not in contact with males, it's not nice to let them suffer with those types of urges if they're not allowed to do anything about them.