Cat scratches sofa - nothing seems to stop her!

My cat has taken to demolishing our sofa through scratching, which is not a huge problem as it's very old and soon going to be replaced. But once the new one comes in I need to try and keep it safe! We've got a scratching post, but she doesn't even give it a glance.

I've tried scratching it in front of her to get her interested, but that doesn't work. Neither does catnip spray, nor dried catnip. I've also tried spraying a scratch-deterrent directly on the sofa, and that doesn't work either...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Asked by Member 1135302 on Oct 11th 2012 Tagged sofa, scratching, catnip, post in Behavior & Training

Answers

Different cats like different scratching surfaces. It's been suggested not to use a "carpeted" post because it feels like furniture to the cats. My cats use a corrugated, "honey-comb" cardboard 'scratchy box'with dried nip in the holes. It sits in a slanted cardboard box frame. Try putting your cat by the post or box when she wakes up as this is when cats are most likely to scratch. Cats will scratch from boredom, too, so try to play with her as much as possible. Reward her when she does use the post or box. If she zeroes in on only the sofa, try using a soda can with pennies taped inside and shake it at her saying a loud "NO!", but you can't completely stop a cat from scratching, especially when you've let her do it in the past.