Cat Pregnancy and Dangers?

My cat recently turned 7 and I believe she may be pregnant. (Please don't just tell me this wouldn't have happened if she was spayed. We've barely had money to get groceries let alone go to the vet.) She's being extremely affection, a lot more than usual, towards the people and snippy towards other cats. It's been about 4-5 weeks since her last heat and she slipped out for a day during it. Last weekend she threw up and refused to eat but she's over it now. She's also being very vocal all of a sudden. I've heard that older cats have a lot of issues with pregnancy but I'm not sure where 7 falls in 'old'. She's also a very small cat, which might cause problems...? So 1, how likely is it that she is pregnant? And 2, what kinds of dangers are there for a cat her age and size? Is it worth continuing with the pregnancy or are the risks too big? It would kill me to lose her. I hand-raised her from 3 weeks old and I could never forgive myself if I let her stay pregnant and she didn't make it.

Asked by Member 1156268 on Feb 20th 2013 in Pregnancy

Answers

I won't belabor the point that if she were spayed, the concerns you are having with her now wouldn't exist. You already know that. However, there are free or low-cost spay/neuter clinics, even mobile ones, in almost every city. Shelters and rescues know where they are located. Chances are, if she got out while she was in heat, it is very likely that she is pregnant. If you use the 7-1 formula, she is at least 49 in humans years. Women who become pregnant at this age do have healthy babies, but they must be monitored during their pregnancy. There is no way for us to predict how this pregnancy will progress for her. If the kittens are large, they could cause her serious issues when she tries to birth them. The only advice I can give you is to be honest with your vet about your financial situation and if they agree to see her, pay what you can when you can in good faith. I hope it all works out for you and for her. You obviously love her and want to do what's best for her.

Joey

Nope you don't get off the hook that easily with me. In seven years you couldn't manage to get this cat spayed?! Pet owners like you - irresponsible owners - are the reason the shelters are full!

GET THE CAT TO THE VET - THEN GET IT SPAYED!

Excellent advice from Izzie as always.

Joey answered on 2/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer