Cat pooped fine.. now she poops RIGHT NEXT to her tray?

She's 20 weeks old and not starved for love and attention. We've trained her to use her litter tray and she was doing perfectly.. until a few weeks ago when she decided she was going to poop next to her litter tray instead. She pees in there fine, she just poops RIGHT NEXT to her tray. I tried moving her tray to her new spot, and she just poops where the tray originally was. And when I move the tray back to the original spot, she goes back to pooping in her new spot. We keep a clean litter tray, we feed her well, we have no other cats so she's not starved for affection. We haven't just moved or anything like that, we've been in the same house since we got her at six weeks. I honestly don't know what to do - I'm not home all day so often when she poops we come home and it's stained and attached to the ground and is awful. Helllllp. :(

Asked by Member 1156408 on Feb 21st 2013 Tagged pooping in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Ok. Don't panic! There are a few things you can try. First, stop moving the box. She's probably confused. If she keeps pooping in the second spot, put a box there, too. Second, try some "Cat Attract" litter mixed in with her usual stuff. You can get it at PetsMart. If she was pooping far away from her box, like in the closet, on the bed, in the middle of the floor, etc., I'd say there was something going on, but she's probably just missing the box. I find turdies on the floor all the time. If she's a large kitty or maybe not really coordinated, her business end could be out of the box and she doesn't realize it. For my 3 cats, I have a large, Rubbermaid "underbed storage" box that I use, especially for Izzie, who is 20 lbs. I also have another large box and a smaller box. The smaller box is almost all piles which leads me to believe that they like one box for pee and the other for poo. Don't use more than 2 inches of litter. If it gets worse, at least phone your vet for their advice.