Cat only eats dry food

Hello there, this is my first post here. I have a question regarding my cat's feeding behavior. She is 7 months old and she was spayed 2 weeks ago. After we picked her up from the surgery, the vet that performed the surgery suggested that we should give her more wet food because of her stool. So, we started experimenting with wet food, but she wouldn't touch it. The last three tries she would go to the bowl, smell the food, and just walk away, and she wouldnt touch it for more than 24 hours. So, I would then replace that food with dry food that I know she enjoys, and she would finally eat. She also eats canned food every once in a while, but prefers the dry one a lot more. So, I dont know what to do now - to keep feeding her the way she likes it, or continue to test this way. I feel like I am torturing her by giving her food she wont eat and therefore keeping her hungry for more than a day. Is it fine to feed her dry food with the occasional canned food or should I try something else?

Asked by Member 1099497 on Mar 13th 2012 Tagged dryfood, cat in Pet Food

Answers

Hi and welcome to Catster! What to feed is a hot topic here. I have always thought to take my 3 fussy eaters to the pet store with me, open a can, show it to them and ask, "You like this one? How about THIS one?" and there's no guarantee that what they chose that day would appeal to them the next. Your baby should be on the best quality kitten food you can afford. There are many choices at the pet store. Dry is fine. My cats have dry food down all the time and get 1/3 of a small can of wet as a "treat" twice a day. There are only a few they like. Don't leave the wet food out for more than 1/2 hour as it will spoil. A good way to hydrate your baby is to invest in a cat water fountain such as a Drinkwell. My dogs and cats both have them and love them. If your vet feels there is a problem with your kitten's stools, share with them that she doesn't care for wet food. If she, in your vet's opinion, is constipated, you can try a little canned pumpkin (NOT pie mix!) off a spoon.

Welcome to Catster! I get wet food once in the morning & once again in the evening. I am picky about the food I eat. I eat hard to find brands. I won't really eat anything popular that you can get just anywhere. My favorite wet food brands are Best Feline Friend & Fussie Cat. I also like pate wet food, no chunky food. I like turkey flavors & fish flavors such as tuna, salmon & ocean whitefish among others. I'm telling you this because perhaps you just simply haven't found the kind of wet food that your kitty likes yet. Try different brands, flavors, consistencies & maybe you'll get lucky.

Looks like I am the only dissenter here. Dry food is not good for cats -- much too dehydrating and hard on their kidneys. Would that our cats were like dogs who drink great volumes of water every day. Over a lifetime of this diet your cat will develop renal failure earlier than cats feed a moist diet.

Cats evolved to get their moisture from the live prey that was their natural diet.

Even most veterinarians who know nothing about cat nutrition are coming to the conclusion that dry food does not keep a cat's teeth healthy.

www.dogkennelsoutlet.co.uk

www.rabbitrunsandhutches.co.uk

www.chickencoopsoutlet.co.uk

I think you should feed her dry food,,so her poop can be hard..Try something that it is in the bag its name is Purina Cat Chow...