Cat nail file?

Has anyone used a nail file for trimming a kitten's nails? Did it work well? I'm too scared to try clipping them.

Asked by Member 996052 on Aug 3rd 2010 in Products & Tools

Answers

Sometimes people file a cat's nails after they've been trimmed, just to get the rough edges off (although Kitty will do that herself if she has access to a scratching post or board, or your sofa). My guess is that if your cat won't sit still for a trim, he/she will not take to filing, either. A clip just takes a second; filing to the desired length would take a considerably longer time, I imagine. There are many varieties of clippers out there--maybe you'll find one that works for your cat. Good luck and have fun! And make sure to cleanse any scratch marks with an antiseptic or an antibacterial soap. If you are unfortunate enough to get bitten, do go to the ER and get a tetanus shot and antibiotics. Cat bites are nasty.

Chibi answered on 8/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer