Tsuki

Cat losing weight?

Tsuki is 5 and recently has lost a little weight. Her sister Luna has a lot of allergy issues, and within the past few months we finally found a dry food that won't wreak havoc on Luna's skin. Tsuki has always eaten whatever Luna eats and never had a problem (they free feed). Within the past month or so we noticed Tsuki was a little skinny. My husband held her on the scale and she has lost about 2-3lbs. We've still seen her eating from the feeder, but the food has been going down slower. Litter box is normal and she's acting the same. Could she just not like this food? We're thinking of adding some canned food to her diet for a few weeks and see if that helps before calling the vet.
We cannot mess with Luna's food after the ridiculous amount of time and money spent getting her skin under control. We worry we've stressed Tsuki out by shooing her from the kitchen when she stalks the toddler's high chair hoping for a handout.
Any other suggestions before we call the vet?

Asked by Tsuki on Apr 29th 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I know (having 5 animals of my own) that going to the vet and especially paying for vet visits is a giant pain. However, when a cat loses 2-3 lbs, that is reason for concern. If Tsuki was really chowing down on the baby's food and now that she's been 'cut off' so to speak, she's losing the people food weight. Unless you're really going over the top, shrieking and yelling and chasing her away from the baby's high chair (and I doubt that), I don't think that's freaking Tsuki out. You can try canned food, but it may be difficult to keep Luna out of it and then your allergy issues would resurface. Specialized wet food is even more expensive than dry and to buy it for Tsuki when she doesn't need it doesn't make sense. My gut feeling is to call your vet just for peace of mind. Weight-loss can have a lot of reasons and since you are such a conscientious owner, I know you want to catch anything before it gets worse. Let us know how it works out!

I think Tsuki should see a vet soon to certainly rule out health issues. Losing 2-3 isn't normal & I don't consider it to be a little bit of weight. Maybe she doesn't like Luna's food, but you need to be sure. It would be hard to feed two different foods without one getting into the others food. Wet food does contain more water & is good for the moisture, but you'd have to stand there & watch Tsuki eat it & then take it away so that Luna doesn't get into it. I know vet's visit are expensive & can be a real pain, but sometimes they are very necessary. Good luck!