Cat is always hungry, eats things off the floor constantly.

My cat appears to be always hungry. I usually feed her a 1/3 of a cup of dry food in the morning and a quarter or a half of a can of wet food in the evening. This never seems to satisfy her and she literally scarfs it all down in less than a few minutes (sometimes she even barfs if back up again because she ate it too fast?). Thirty minutes after a feeding? She's whining for more food. If I feed her again, she will do the same thing - scarf it and then either barf it up or whine for more 30 minutes later.

Furthermore, if I don't immediately feed her when she starts whining, she will start eating random stuff off the floor. Carpet fibers, rocks, pebbles, bugs, string, wires, her own litter, paper. Whatever is within reach, she will attempt to eat it.

I've heard cats eat when they're bored, but mine won't play either. Laser point? Uninteresting. Feathers, mice, jingly balls? Uninteresting. Combs and pens? Slightly interesting, but only for about half a minute.

Asked by Member 1116253 on Jun 18th 2012 Tagged food, boredom, hunger, hungry in Pet Food

Answers

My cat will be 20 this summer and has the same issue--eating constantly but is still very skinny although he used to be a fat cat. Poops and pees all the time (he is also stone deaf and half blind with cataracts) At last checkup (last fall) the vet said he didn't have worms and kidney disease was in the very early stages. He said it was probably a thyroid problem but he thought doing the testing could stress the cat too much. The answer is just to keep him eating, try food for older cats and foods with plenty of moisture in them, and not to worry unless he stops drinking and peeing, which is indicative of kidney problems.

www.rabbitrunsandhutches.co.uk

www.chickencoopsoutlet.co.uk

www.dogkennelsoutlet.co.uk

You don't say how old she is, but best advice is to have the vet do an exam and bloodwork. It's definitely not normal or healthy to be eating non-food items. In older cats, constant hunger is often a sign of hyperthyroidism. Could also be worms if she is an outdoor cat; vitamin deficiency, hormone imbalance, who knows. Or something is going on with her mentally.

Based on how much my cats eat during the day, it really doesn't sound like she's getting enough food. When she vomits, it's because she's eating so fast she's swallowing air and the food "auto-reverses" on her. If the vet can't find any issues,ask him if what you're feeding her is enough. Also, my cats don't "play" either, but one thing I found that they LOVE is a large three-level carpeted "condo" climber in front of the window. They use it for a scratchy post, a lookout and to hide from my dog. My cats also like a "chitter mouse" I got from Wal-mart that, when jiggled, sounds like a real mouse. Delilah carries it around in her mouth and meows. Funny!

I think you're starving your cat. My cat eats way more than that. 2 cans a day (small fancy feast size) plus a 1/2 a cup of dry and some of the meat from our plates when we eat. He doesn't throw it up or poop a lot and he's not fat.

That poor cat is sick and starved. Get it de-wormed and feed it more FOOD.