Cat hates me after giving meds for two weeks?

I recently adopted a tabby cat from the ASPCA, about 4 months ago. When I adopted him we had 5 more cats at home. He arrived and ended up infecting all our cats with feline herpies. My new kitten got hit hard with the sickness and I was giving him oral meds and eye meds twice a day for two weeks. All the way up to the end of his recovery process he was VERY affectionate with me, he would sleep with me and purr even if I would just talk to him. After he was well again it seemed he was an entirely different cat. He no longer let's me touch him anywhere, he cringes like he hates it. If I speak to him his ears go back and his pupils get huge. If I even take a step towards him he franticly runs away, often running into things because he is so frantic to get away from me. This has been going on for 3 months now and I just have no idea how to break it! He wont take treats from me and will very rarely take a treat that's even close to me! I dont understand the mood shift or why he would hate me ever so! Please help

Asked by Member 1101363 on Mar 21st 2012 Tagged cat, mean, medication, meds, woodybaby in Behavior & Training

Answers

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience adopting an unwell kitten from the ASPCA. This is why I always urge people, before bringing a cat home, to have it vetted by their own doctor. Anyway, have you been back to your vet with this little guy to make sure he's 100%? If so, it's time to start socializing this guy. Keep him separate from the others in a room of his own with a litter box, food, water and some toys. Visit him (alone) as often as you possible can. Do not make eye contact with him. When you are in "his" room or "safe area",if he hides, just speak softly (even reading aloud from a book) so he gets used to your voice. If he approachs you, stay still and don't grab for him. He's been very traumatized and needs to learn you mean him no harm. He needs quiet, patient, calm and loving care right now. He needs to make up his own mind that he's loved and cared for. Do not let the other cats harrass him. He does not "hate" you, I can assure you of that. He just needs to learn to trust

Kitty will get over it. They know you're helping them but if They don't bitch about it they wouldn't be felines. After you help them, Just look deep in their eyes and say, "there there. " They get it and love you for it. But they do have their egos
Pride. And their preditor pride