Cat grooming schools in Pittsburgh?

I'm looking for a cat grooming school in the Pittsburgh area that is reasonably priced ($2500 or less). I found 2 such schools, but they charge 5,000-10,000 dollars which is way too expensive for me as I have a mortgage and I'm still paying off old student loans.
Is there any truth that Pet Smart of Petco will train you to do grooming if you work there?

Asked by Member 1119290 on Jul 6th 2012 Tagged schools, classes in Other Grooming

Answers

When I handled the adoption cages for my rescue organization at PetsMart, I seem to remember that they did train groomers. However, I'm not so sure that if you didn't care for it there that you'd be able to get hired anywhere else. I'm not sure what the licensing requirements are to work in an independent shop, but you might be better off attending an actual school. If you hire on as an assistant in a kennel atmosphere which also does grooming, you may be able to 'earn while you learn' so to speak. You can also speak with the trained/licensed groomers there and ask where they went to school and how they went about opening their own shop, etc.