Cat flu? Snotty, sneezing and snoring!

my cat is about 16, and has developed a bad bad snotty nose/respiratory problems. he's been sneezing a lot too; would antihisamines help clear his airways, he's not comfortable it's obvious, and he's been this way a while now. :(

noone smokes around him, he's always been ok previously and now we're at a loss how to help him!

could it be his food? pollens in the garden?

can't see a vet without pointless bills :/

Asked by Member 1117371 on Jun 24th 2012 in Medications

Answers

When we take on the responsibility of caring for an animal, it's like a marriage vow, "in sickness and in health." Your old guy definitely qualifies as a Senior Citizen, and unfortunately, as any of us age, we require more medical attention than we used to. Unfortunate as well is the cost incurred. Giving him a human anti-histamine w/o the approval of a vet or an exam to find out what's wrong could be dangerous. Not knowing what dosage could prove toxic if not outright fatal to the cat. If your vet determines that your cat has an upper respiratory infection, prescribes medication and your old guy is cured, I'm not sure I'd call the vet bill "pointless". In the past, if you have not been satisfied with your vet, it's perfectly alright to change. But, your cat is ill and needs to be examined and treated. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do for him over this website. Good luck. Hope you decide to take him for medical treatment and that he feels better soon!

"Pointless bills"? Your cat needs to see a veterinarian regardless of whether or not you incur "pointless bills"! I am sorry to be so blunt, but at least "Izzie" (former poster) was more tactful, but it is obvious that your cat has not been to a vet for some time, if ever. Did it ever occur to you that your cat may have pneumonia, cancer, etc.? If your cat's breathing is labored, you need to get him to a vet ASAP! I hope the poor old boy is okay and it's not too late for his sake. I'll pray for him.