Cat doesn't use the litter box on a regular basis

I recently lost my over 17 yr old male cat (Rascal) and have a 9 year old female (Macey) left in the house. During the last year of Rascal's life, it was very stressful and he got 150% of my attention. Macey started going outside of the litter box during this time and is still not using the box. Rascal has been gone for almost 2 months and it has been very hard for me. In December of last year, Macey hurt her leg and I had to confine her to the bathroom and sometimes she will go in the spot in the master bathroom where her litter box was placed. Last night I came home to a pile on the mat by the back door and this morning she went on the living room carpet. I have not bonded with Macey like I did with Rascal and it is the first time in a very long time that she is alone. I have an appt with the vet next week.

Asked by Member 1142898 on Nov 29th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I am so sorry for your loss. Whenever there is a change in a cat's behavior, Catsters agree that it's always a good idea to check with your vet,. Macey has had a difficult year. If she was closer to Rascal than she is to you, she must be very traumatized by the fact that he's no longer there, even considering that during Rascal's last year, he got most of your attention. When cats stop using the box, it's usually a stress or health issue. I'd be willing to be that in Macey's case, it's also a bit of a habit. This is what it is with my Delilah who will use my bathtub and the shower in the guest bath. I'm sure you are cleaning the areas she uses as well as possible. Right now, Macey needs your understanding and attention even if you don't feel as close to her as you did to Rascal. Give yourself a chance to bond with her, maybe not as tightly as Rascal, but let her know you love her and understand her pain. Be consistent. Try some extra grooming and playtimes plus some more treats.Purrs